During lockdown, we are all starting to miss our favourite foods from our favourite restaurants. So here at The Butchers Block we want to help you out and show you how to make your own version (or at least close enough to tide you over until McDonalds reopens) of the Big Mac.
The most famous part of the Big Mac, is the special sauce, and while many of us thought the sauce was a secret, the recipe has actually been available for years. However, you can also use store brought burger sauce to save time. So, get your 8 Rib-eye burgers from The Butcher’s Block and create this McDonald's icon in your own home.
FOR THE SAUCE
50 g mayonnaise
30 g shallots, finely diced
30 g dill pickles, finely diced
15 g French mustard
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
1 tsp. white wine vinegar
FOR THE BURGER
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
8 Rib-eye burgers from The Butcher’s Block
1/2 white onion, finely diced
8 seeded burger buns
1/4 head iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
2 large dill pickles, thinly sliced
4 slices of cheese
1. To make the burger sauce add all the ingredients into a bowl and mix, refrigerate and allow the flavours to combine for an hour.
2. Place the diced onion into ice cold water. Leave for 10 minutes and then drain.
3. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and then lightly toast the buns. Put to one side. Add oil to the pan and fry your burgers in two batches, cooking for two minutes per side, until cooked. On four of the patties, place over a piece of cheese for the final minute to allow it to melt a little.
4. To assemble the burgers, spread some burger sauce across the bottom bun. Sprinkle over some of the crisped onions and shredded lettuce then add one burger pattie. Top with the second base, more burger sauce, onions and lettuce and sliced gherkins. Finally, top with the second burger patty and bun top.
5. Serve with the classic fries and a can of coke